Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Treks.

Any Treky's out there? I grew up a Star Trek junky thanks to my dad's sci-fi obsession. Being empathetically driven, I thought it was ridiculous Spock's species, the Vulcan's, were robbed of emotion. To live without emotion- no thanks. I thought it was cool that the badges the Enterprise crew wore on their out of style space uniforms, served as walkie-talkies. My number one desire was to fly like Peter Pan, but I always thought a good substitute to flying was to stand on the Enterprises' transportaion deck and sl0wly disappear to find myself on some other ship or planet. I wish travel was that easy.

I trek a lot in life and with all the traveling I do, I secretly wish someone would invent a transportation deck (My other secret wish is that I'll get a letter from Hogwarts informing me I need magical schooling... my owl must have gotten lost, I'm still waiting for my letter). Today it's a roadtrip from California to Texas. A grueling 19 hour drive.

I look out my window and see flat. Did you know the terrain is different depending on which road you take from California to Texas? The road there is much prettier than the road back. Times ten.

Like I said, it's flat. On the celebration side of treking, I've decided terrain is a lot like breakfast food. And I love breakfast food. Sprinkled donuts specifically (in case you ever want to buy me one). Southern California resembles waffles. Hills and valleys. With smog for syrup. What I see as I look out my window is a pancake. Flat land- with no chololate chips or blueberry lumps. Just flat.

Yesterday my traveling companion and I took a little detour to the Grand Canyon. It's probably against Simple Side rules to compare one of the wonders of the world with breakfast food, but if I had to try... it kind of looks like granola with a big hole in the middle. So if you ever find yourself on a road trip, wishing the world would start spinning faster so you could get to your destination sooner, just start picturing the terrain around you as breakfast food... or try to invent a transportation deck. Both are acceptable and both tend to make the time go by faster.

No comments:

Post a Comment