Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Chelsea

Someone once told me the most important word I should ever remember is someone's name. A person's name truely is a powerful word.

We are called by our names. Remembered by our names. When someone knows my name or remembers it from long ago, my innate "desire to belong" gets fulfilled. When someone mentions my name in a story, I feel a sense of significance settle within me. Someone knew my name. They thought I was important. I was worth remembering.

I love people that are worth remembering. I think a lot of people really are worth remembering. I love taking note of those individuals. People who have remembered my name and even gone farther than that... they have given me life by being a part of my life. Investing in me. Going beyond my name to my heart.

One of those life-givers, investors, and go-er beyond-ers is my friend, Chelsea.

Chelsea has held many roles in my life, and she might even giggle that I referred to her as my "friend" since she is also my boss.... but I am so thankful for this one year of working with her. We've had the chance to take some beautiful walks down the avenue together. And now, after pouring so much of her life into myself and others... she physically gets to bring life into the world.

Today I went to Chelsea's baby shower. My first baby shower ever in fact. There were at least 5-6 others there who had no idea what to expect or that it is okay to have a soda chugging contest using baby bottles. Those wonderful "others" I so gratefully love to call my co-workers, but more importantly, my family. I've never felt so comfortable and out of place at one time. Moments like those are beautiful and rare though, and, looking back, they never really seem out of place but, moreso, just right.

I loved celebrating Chelsea's life and the fact that she has something inside of her that is going to change her life forever in less than two months. She has given so much life to my family of friends and I, and yet it was beautiful to turn around and speak truth into her life.

I also love seeing Chelsea enjoy life. She has a genuine smile and uses it often (I've cried so much in her apartment because I've been laughing too hard). How I wish I could see her face when she sets her eyes on Baby for the first time. To see her enjoy life in such a new way. Thinking of  her joy when she finally gets to see Baby... the little life she has been waiting to hold for so long.

And Chelsea will give Baby a name.  Baby will be called by that name. Remembered by that name. And when people say Baby's name, they will bring life, significance, worth, and a sense of importance into Baby's life....

No comments:

Post a Comment