Thursday, September 8, 2011

I need to read books.....

...because they make me think. Sometimes I surprise myself when I realize I've been living each day in an absent minded fog. I notice my unfortunate ability to turn on some sort of "Stacie Default" that gets me by, but doesn't really make me think or live well. Reading usually takes me out of that funk. It offers newness, and sometimes thats exactly what we need in order to think.. a few pages of newness.

....because I must keep learning. Today someone told me that if we didn't read classic literature we would be reduced to something like mush and mayhem. Some businessman with the last name of Freeman said, we should "live forward, and think backward". Thinking backward, of course, involves gleaning from classics like Crime and Punishment, Jane Eyre, Pride and Prejudice, and War and Peace.... those are some of my favorites. I thought to myself... have I really taken time lately to look back to make sure I'm living my full potential forward?

...because it is important to know what my mentor's mentors believed. Most of the people I look up to in this world were and are avid readers... am I looking to the sources they are influenced by? I probablys should be.

...because any perspective is a good one to attemp to understand. Some people refer to a person who reads a wide capacity of books and genres as "well rounded". Don't we all wish we read more.... and probably more or less for that reason, to become all the more well-rounded?

....because to read is to persevere. Something I learned about reading a long time ago is that I must persevere through certain books, poems, or articles. If I have to read slower than I'd like to understand a text or if the beginning of a book seems stale at first, I must persevere.

Read to enjoy.
Read to dream. Or learn how to dream.
Read to esscape, so when you enter back into reality you might be challenged to live more fully.
Read that your conversations may be full and driven.
Read so you may lead well.
Read so you may follow well.
Read to be challeneged.
Read because you are able.
Read, and see the wonder in every page.

No comments:

Post a Comment