Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Our "Family Thing"

It's December 22, and Christmas is ever before me. Christmas is the only time of year my parents, siblings, and I get together anymore... Our family feels so mature and grown since none of us live at home. I having older siblings whose lives have been in full swing for years (that means they're big kids, with real jobs and rent to pay). We grew up about as fast as it takes my dad to assemble our phony Christmas tree (i mourn the year we reverted to a fake tree... and still hold some bitterness in my heart when I can't smell the fresh pine). With one in The Netherlands, another in New York, myself in California, and our parents in Texas, we just don't get to "bump into each other" all that often.

I love "family things".. It seems like every family has its own quirks and quibbles, but I love seeing a family have that one thing that is unique to them. The thing that sets them apart. Ours is cookie decorating.

We keep a few holiday traditions, but the one that stands out to me the most is our annual Christmas cookie decorating extravaganza, which could more appropriately be named "I can 'decorate' at least 20 cookies in globs of icing and eat them ALL without barfing before the night is over" extravaganza. My brother has probably never decorated as many cookies as he has eaten... but, between you and me, I'm pretty sure I come in a close second to him. And since Christmas is so wisely and strategically celebrated right before everyone's new years "no sugar" resolution begins, I have no remorse for the amount of sugar I intake.

I call it a homemade heartattack. I'm not a chef or baker. I don't know a food recipe from a grocery receipt, but I appreciate my mom's homemade brilliance when it comes to this tradition. Homemade red and green icing. Homemade cookies. Way too much butter and powdered sugar. We would be at a loss if one year she decided not to make them.

So here's to my families cookie craze. Even though the red icing looks pink. Even though I've never figured out why our Christmas cookie cutouts include a sheep, a plane, and a windmill. Even though my sister wins "most creative cookie" every year... I can't help but celebrate our "family thing" and those deliciously deadly sugar packed treats.

What's your "family thing"? And don't you think it's about time to celebrate it?

1 comment:

  1. I don't win EVERY year...uh...just most years. But Michael always takes the cake (um...cookie) when it comes to amount consumed (followed by Dad!). Plus, I think what we put in stockings is pretty dang unique. I think that is an additional "Homeyer" thing. :-)

    ReplyDelete