Saturday, January 30, 2010

Crying.

This one's dedicated to those whose hearts are empathetically driven.

Ever cried so much you feel like you could have filled up a cup of water and used it to hydrate yourself? (Yeah... thats gross. Unfortunately, I've seen Johnny Depp's Cry Baby one too many times.)
Crying is something I enjoy doing. It releases a lot of tension inside. It really is sacred to me.

I cry every day I'm pretty sure. Crying out of joy or because I was laughing too hard. Crying because my heart is breaking. Crying out of empathy for someone else. Crying because I am moved so deeply in my soul. Crying because the book was so good it reached out and squeezed my tear ducts. Crying at the end of Breakfast at Tiffany's. Good tears. Sad tears. Angry tears. Hopeful Tears. Tears.

The first time I cried during a movie is still humorously vivid in my mind. I was only five years old. The babysitter and I had popped in a random VHS. I have no idea what movie we watched but I remember it was about a broken relationship between a child and parent which ended up being restored at the end of the movie. As the credits scrolled up the screen, I remember sitting up and bursting into uncontrollable sobs. I'm sure my babysitter was utterly confused. She asked with concern, "Stacie what's wrong?" With huge gasps and tearful hiccups I managed to squeak out, "that was just so sad". I, myself, was confused. I had never been moved like that and didn't even know where the tears were coming from. This was my first encounter with empathy. I often wonder what my last will be.

So here's to tears. All kinds of tears. And simply letting them fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment