Tuesday, February 9, 2010

paper. ink. and a good drink.

Writing. If you've ever written anything (journal, blog, speech, dissertation, a lengthy letter to that significant him or her), you might find that your genius writing juices flow only in certain atmospheres or under certain conditions. I have a friend who would rather do anything else than sit down and write. There are lots of people like that in this world, but I wonder if they just haven't found their ink flow zone yet. I think I've found mine. And I hope you can find yours.

Ink bursts out of my pen (well, I'll be honest, I write with a pen 40% of the time and with a keyboard the other 60%) when there's a tasty liquid near by. Maybe coffee. Maybe tea. I'm a sucker for milk and orange juice. My mouth has recently been re-introduced to orange julius', my favorite drink as a kid. This very writing I attribute to orange julius'.

It's Simply Celabratory: my mouth is bewitched by whatever special drink the day brings- and my writing is thus effected. My cup of inspiration gets sipped through my mouth then races straight to my finger tips and into my pen, supplying it with priceless ink. Ink capable of ornate and colorful words.

Give me a pen and paper with no drink and you might as well ask me to duck hunt without turning the nintendo on. It won't happen.

1 comment: